Are my skills transferable?
Everyone has transferable skills! Transferable skills are ‘portable’ skills that continue to develop across all aspects of your life, including your career.
Transferable skills are acquired from previous employment, education, childhood, relationships, and social experiences. Below are some examples of transferable skills:
- Written & verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Sales skills
- Time management skills
- Teamwork skills
- Analytical skills
- Technical skills
No matter your job title, career path or industry, your transferable skills will continue to develop and ‘transfer’ with you as your career progresses and changes. Knowing what your individual transferable skills are and being able to discuss them with confidence will expose you to job opportunities you may have never previously considered.
We encourage you to take the time to identify and review your transferable skills:
- List all of the skills you believe you have acquired and developed in your life so far.
- List the skills required and that you’ve developed in your current job.
- Consider and list the skills required in the career or job that you’re considering a switch to.
- Cross-examine the skills between your current job and the career change or job your considering.
- Are there any gaps? Which of your skills could you transfer and would benefit you in the job or career you’re considering?
When thinking about a career change to or within the Health and/or Medical sector, your transferable skills can support your employability as a candidate, regardless of the exact position requirements or industry experience you may have.
Every day, your transferable skills will continue to develop, and you will acquire new skills. Knowing what your transferable skills are and applying them to your job search or career change can separate you from the rest and expose you to job opportunities you may have never previously considered.
If you’re thinking about working in the Health and/or Medical sector, view our jobs here. Or, If you’d like to discuss your transferable skills or working in the Health and/or Medical sector further, contact us today for a confidential chat.